- Sultan Muhammad V of Kelantan becomes the first Yang di-PertuanAgong (head of state) to abdicate throne as 15th monarch of Malaysia.
- 18-year-old Saudi woman Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun gains worldwide attention via Twitter for seeking asylum in Australia and her detention by Thai authorities.
- India record first AFC Asian Cup win in 55 years; beat Thailand, 4-1 at Abu Dhabi.
- Parliament approves Constitution 124th (Amendment) Bill, giving 10 per cent reservation in government jobs and educational institutions to economically backward people among general category.
- India beat Australia in cricket Test series, becoming the first Asian country to beat the Ausies in their homeland.
- Awami League chief Sheikh Hasina sworn-in as Bangladesh Prime Minister for third consecutive term.
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and MacKenzie announce their divorce.
- Indian cricketers Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul suspended by BCCI from playing any form of cricket after their sexist comments on an Indian chat show aired on 6th January, 2019.
- Ex-banker and Aam Aadmi Party leader Meera Sanyal, 57, dies of cancer.
- Former CBI chief Alok Verma submits his resignation from service.